Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I guess I'm a blogger now.

Wow... took me long enough, but I'm here now, so let's just see how this works.

My major reason for starting this blog was to journal the process of writing a book. I've written two already, and we're getting the first one ready to send out, hopefully to find a publisher. I have high hopes for success, but the process is still a little scary. I'm not sure that I'm ready to send my baby out into the world and be told that it's not good enough, not "what we want." I'm not good at rejection, but it's time to bite the bullet and shoo it out the door.

I have started the third book in the series, and that's what I want to document here. It's an interesting process (to me, anyway), and it might be to someone else as well. I hope so anyway.

On Sunday, I started the process anew. Main characters are pretty easy because they're already established from the first two stories. There are a couple of new characters, so I have to, for lack of a better way of explaining it, take pictures of them in my mind and give them cool things to say. It's like playing "The Sims" in your head. I'm also introducing a new location, which conveniently happens to be about 30 miles from where I grew up in Southwestern Ohio. I've done some of the basic research, including looking at maps of the area, checking out the schools and how they relate to the characters, and I've even checked the area code just in case someone needs it to identify the source location of a phone call.

The next step is then to create an outline of chapters. I have that set up through chapter 5, of a proposed 20 chapters. It's a start. I also have about 1,000 words written for chapter 1. Again, it's a start.

I'm also starting another work, this one a collaborative effort with a good friend. I have high hopes for this as well. We did a lot of the preliminary "hashing out" of story ideas and stuff late last summer, but it's time to get to work. Taking me out of my own comfortable set of characters is proving to be a little scary to me, but it's a step I need to take.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

woohoo!! you have entered the blogosphere! have fun, sweetie.

love, me

Jen said...

Good luck, Diane! I have complete faith in you!
J

Sara said...

Hehe, blog is a funny word. And also, is a verb and a noun, and an adjective if you add a -gy to the end of it. Um, just wanted to say hi...

Team Serrins Springfield said...

Well, I'm confused. I tried to leave a comment saying how excited I was to see you starting a blog about your writing process. I also said that I was excited about our collaboration.

JSI

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I know it's scary, but I also know you can do it!